Do You Need To Dispute An Insurance Claim In Louisiana?

Do you own a vehicle? Do you own a house? Do you rent an apartment or condo? Do you own a business? If you answered yes to one or more of those questions, you may one day need to file an insurance claim, and if you’ve never filed one before, it can be a daunting task.


Why carry insurance?


There are many reasons to have an insurance policy on your auto, home, business or rental or to carry a policy that covers a specific event such as a flood, hurricane or burial. In some cases, as with your car, truck or motorcycle, you are legally required to have insurance.

If you are paying off a mortgage, your lender will require you carry homeowner’s insurance, or they may purchase a policy for you and include in your mortgage payments.


Car or vehicle insurance


Anyone who drives a car, truck or motorcycle in Louisiana is required to carry liability insurance in case they are involved in a traffic accident. Motorists can choose to purchase a comprehensive or collision coverage, but they will pay higher premiums.

Auto insurance policies cover drivers, passengers, and occupants of the other vehicles who are involved in a crash. The costs covered include medical expenses, property repair expenses, and emotional damages.


Homeowners insurance


Most homeowners in Louisiana c

arry a homeowner’s insurance policy because they want to safeguard what is likely their most valuable asset. Homeowners insurance can cover a range of repairs including major plumbing issues, roof repair or natural disasters.

For more information about homeowner’s insurance and recommendations for coverage, amounts visit the Louisiana Department of Insurance at


Flood insurance


Some areas of Louisiana are prone to flooding because of sea level and proximity of a body of water, so many residents are required to have flood insurance. These policies cover losses including:

The foundation

Electrical and plumbing systems

Kitchen and home appliances like washing machines, dryers, and refrigerators


Personal items including televisions, computers, and clothing


Renter’s insurance


There is no requirement under Louisiana’s landlord-tenant ordinances (La. Rev. Stat. Ann. §§ 9:3251 to 9:3261; La. Civ. Code Ann. art. 2668 to 2729) for individuals who rent an apartment, condominium or house to carry renter’s insurance. But it is wise for a tenant to have a policy that covers high-cost items including electronics, computers, furniture and appliances in case fire destroys them, a felled tree, flood or another natural disaster.

If you need help with a claim for any of the standard policies listed above or a health insurance, life insurance or disability insurance, you should get the advice of an insurance claims attorney in Louisiana. We have a top-notch team of negotiators who will go the extra mile to get the best possible outcome for your insurance claim.

In rare cases, insurance companies give a claimant the settlement amount they are seeking without prolonged negotiations and

If you have questions about specific insurance providers, insurance coverage or need to file a complaint, you need to contact the Louisiana Department of Insurance. You can call toll free at 1-800-259-5300. Or, visit the agency at their address:

The Poydras Building

1702 N. 3rd Street

Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9214


Before you put your claim at risk, set up a consultation with one of USAttorneys’ insurance claims lawyers immediately. We can connect you with an insurance claims expert today.